Art (some definitions)
- The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
- Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.
- High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
- The creation of works of beauty or other special significance
Art works are commonly understood as objects produced with the aim of engendering aesthetic experiences of the viewers.
(Carroll, N., Philosophy of Art: A Contemporary Introduction, Routledge, London, 1999)
Art can be divided into two distinct categories:
- Representational art,
- Abstract art.
Representational art is:
- an art which depicts subject matter in a realistic manner without simplification, distortion, or exaggeration.
- an art which literally depicts objects from the visible real world.
- an art that portrays specific, recognizable physical objects.
- the selective recreation of reality for the purposes of expressing an idea.
Abstract art can be divided into two distinct categories:
- Objective abstract art,
- Non-objective abstract art.
Objective abstract art
Objective abstract art is an art which depicts the concrete physical object in simplified, or distorted, or exaggerated form; the depicted object may only constitute an indirect reference or an allusion to the original natural subject.
Non-objective abstract art
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract art is an art which emphasizes color, form, structure and composition, and which is completely dissociated from representational art.
In non-objective (non-representational) abstract art, there is no reference to any figurative reality, to any concrete recognizable physical objects.
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract image is a composition made up of shapes and forms that are almost, if not completely, unidentifiable, and have no source in external reality.
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract art is an art that reshapes the natural world for expressive purposes, and derives from, but does not imitate a recognizable physical subject(s).
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract art image does not depict recognizable scenes or objects, but instead is made up of pure forms, shapes, patterns, and colors, that exist for their own expressive sake. Color, form, structure, and composition, are the important elements of the image, which affect its expressive power. This image projects an emotion or an idea or philosophy of some sort that the artist is trying to express. The artist wants to express his feelings and thoughts, undisturbed by any object-centered representation.
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract art is defined as art that has no reference to any figurative reality.
Non-objective (non-representational) abstract art is an art in which the subject matter is represented by shapes and patterns rather than by a realistic likeness to some physical subjects from the natural world.